WHO WE ARE
The Sonoma County Folk Society (SoCoFoSo) is an all volunteer organization and, as such, all activities are the responsibility of its members. We are a 501-C-3 (non-profit) educational and charitable organization.
We serve as a resource for and provider of folk music events in our region, we offer venues and invitations for singing and jamming, and we proudly support community programs that offer live music opportunities to both seniors and adults. See “OUR MISSION” below.
All members are invited to attend Board Meetings and to submit any ideas they may have to further the sharing of folk music in Sonoma County. There is also ample opportunity for volunteering, both at music events and behind-the-scenes. We invite you to donate your time and skills to the local acoustic music scene, along with other SoCoFoSo members.
WHY AND WHEN SoCoFoSo was FORMED?
Originally known as the Santa Rosa Folk Festival Association, the Sonoma County Folk Society was formed in 1976 to “provide and promote traditional and contemporary folk music of the people of the U.S.A. as a means of enriching and increasing a sense of knowledge and awareness of sung and written music of past generations, in order to develop an appreciation for the rich cultural heritage of the people.” Original directors of our organization were Harriet Lewis, Pat Davis, Ron Silverman, Robert Linde and KATE WOLF!
SoCoFoSo ACTIVITIES INCLUDE
- Pickin’ Potluck Gatherings on 5th Sundays
- Comprehensive & Continuous on-line Entertainment Calendar
- Website Platform for Folk Music Community Resource Sharing
- Performances at Local Senior Residential Communities (30-50 annually)
- Scholarships Supporting local Children’s Music Camps & Workshops
- Financial assistance for local ukulele festival
- Financial and volunteer participation with KRCB and KOWS Radio
- Membership Outreach—Concession Sales at Local Concerts
- Contributing articles to Folk Notes
- Opportunity for Members to Create Local Folk Events
- Small Concert Productions & House Concert Support
- Publishing “Folk Notes” Articles of Interest to our Members
- Sonoma County Bluegrass & Folk Festival (SCBFF) Co-sponsor
- End-of-the-Year Music Party & Potluck Feast