Welcome to the
Sonoma County Folk Society
SoCoFoSo serves as a resource for and provider of folk music events in Sonoma County.
For the past 40 years, we have been proudly supporting community programs that offer live music opportunities to all ages. We offer venues and invitations for singing, performing and jamming.
Originally known as the Santa Rosa Folk Festival Association, the Sonoma County Folk Society (SoCoFoSo) was formed in 1976 to “provide and promote traditional and contemporary folk music of the people of the U.S.A. as a means of enriching and increasing a sense of knowledge and awareness of sung and written music of past generations, in order to develop an appreciation for the rich cultural heritage of the people.” Original directors of our organization were Harriet Lewis, Pat Davis, Ron Silverman, Robert Linde and Kate Wolf.
- Pickin’ Potluck Gatherings on 5th Sundays
- Comprehensive & Continuous on-line Entertainment Calendar
- Website Platform for Folk Music Community Resource Sharing
- Performances at Local Senior Residential Communities (30-50 annually)
- Scholarships Supporting local Children’s Music Camps & Workshops
- Financial assistance for local ukulele festival
- Financial and volunteer participation with KRCB and KOWS Radio
- Membership Outreach—Concession Sales at Local Concerts
- Contributing articles to Folk Notes
- Opportunity for Members to Create Local Folk Events
- Small Concert Productions & House Concert Support
- Publishing “Folk Notes” Articles of Interest to our Members
- Sonoma County Bluegrass & Folk Festival (SCBFF) Co-sponsor
- End-of-the-Year Music Party & Potluck Feast
“To revive and promote knowledge of, an awareness of, an enjoyment of, and the performance of, both traditional and contemporary folk music by various means—including concerts, folk music festivals, archives collections, and singing groups or clubs where folk music is sung and shared regularly. We are committed to bring folk music to a variety of people in a variety of situations.”
SoCoFoSo is an all volunteer organization and, as such, all activities are the responsibility of its members. We are a 501(c)(3) (non-profit) educational and charitable organization.
All members are invited to attend Board Meetings and to submit any ideas they may have to further the sharing of folk music in Sonoma County. There is also ample opportunity for volunteering, both at music events and behind-the-scenes. We invite you to donate your time and skills to the local acoustic music scene, along with other SoCoFoSo members.
Currently, our COMMUNITY OUTREACH includes donations to fund local music camps, including two that are Mariachi Camps for Youth, at no cost to them. We are also proud of Jam Nation, a SoCoFoSo band, that performs at senior residential facilities between 30 and 50 times a year! Additionally, we sponsor an annual ukulele camp in Healdsburg, as well as KRCB and KOWS (both financially and by helping in their studios), as these radio stations have a significant focus on folk music.
We are a friendly, generous, hard-working community made up of music lovers just like you.
We’d love for you to join us!